Welcome to the Playroom at 14 Peonystreet!

This blog started in the "playroom". That's what DH calls artwork- playing. Wish I could live in the "playroom" forever.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Rice Pudding ~ Everyone Could Use Some Right Now.....

 Okay, I know some of you are just going to say "Yuck",
but bear with me, and believe me, even people who don't
like pudding will think they've hit the jackpot when they
taste this.
 Yesterday, I gave you a recipe for Peanut Butter cookies.
Today, it's Rice Pudding.
I guess you could say I'm into comfort food lately.
I really think we could all use some of it, with
everything that's going on these days.
 This is the dish, still in the water bath.  I couldn't wait for
it to cool off before I "got me some".  The little
liquidy stuff, from the milk, will not be there if you
let it cool off before you take some out of the dish.
Here it is in a little dish.  I apologize for the photos. 
All taken in incandescent light.  It's night-time, you see,
the best time for comfort food.
And I must tell you, any Swede will tell you they
love Rice Pudding.  Or at least that it was served
at church suppers and at home during the Christmas holidays.
You can even eat it for breakfast.
~~~
You probably have all the ingredients to make this in your cupboard
right now, but I'll make a great suggestion and tell you to buy
Jasmine Rice for this recipe.  It is the perfect rice because it's
tender and not chewy. But you can use what you have.
~~~
For my recipe, you'll need 1 cup cooked rice, so do that first.
I use the boil and drain method of making rice.
Place more water than you need to make rice in a saucepan,
get it to nearly the boiling point, then put in 1/2 cup (jasmine) rice.
Stir rice a few times after you put it in the pan to keep it from sticking,
then cook at medium heat till soft.  Then drain it through a sieve or strainer when its done.
~
Coat a baking dish with nonstick spray.  (You could probably use a smearing of butter if you don't have the nonstick spray.)  Set dish aside.
~
In a separate bowl, crack two eggs and lightly beat them.
Then add 1 1/2 cups milk.  I use 2%.  You can use whole milk too.
Keep in mind that if you use skim milk, the pudding will turn out more watery.
Now add the rest of the ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
the rice
~
Mix together well, then place in the baking dish.
~
Place the baking dish in a pan of warm water,
then place in cold oven.
Set oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
Once it is up to the temperature, set
your timer for 1 1/2 hours (90 minutes).  Yeah, it takes
that long!  You bake this slow so the eggs will set
and make this great tasting, custard-like dessert.
~
Remove pan from oven - carefully. 
I like to leave my dish in the pan with the
water til it cools off.
~~
Some Swedes I know like a little almond extract in their pudding.
And they love cardamom. 
And there's a little tradition of placing an almond in the pudding.
Whomever gets the almond in their pudding, means they'll have
good luck. 
~~~
I wish you all some good luck for the rest of this year,
and good health too!
 
BB


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin